Destiny or Couch and Pepsi?

In the book Soul Cravings, in entry one under Destiny, Erwin is talking about how he loved the book Glory Road, and how it inspired him. He writes, "Even then I had a sense of Destiny. We all do. But we don’t all do something about it".

This got me thinking. Why don't we take action toward the more important things in life? I am fired up about a lot of things, but for most of the time, I would rather just play Xbox, or watch sports, then do something that has real significance. Why is that? Each person had be created with the ability to make a real difference in this world, and yet so few do.

My personal take is that it all comes down to selfishness. Making a difference in other people’s lives costs us valuable time, energy and money that could easily be spent on self. In the end, making a difference just costs too much. It is sad, but I think true.

It is much easier for me to sit on my couch, with a bag of chips and a Pepsi, and be inspired by William Wallace in Braveheart than for me do something heroic myself.

Why do you think we don’t do something about our sense of destiny?

1 comments:

big PeTe said...

Personally for me it is about Taking Courage! To step up to the plate and go out it in the world takes courage. Just to get up off the couch where we feel safe and comfortable is all it starts with.

In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world. -John 16:33

Take courage; for as you have solemnly witnessed to My cause at Jerusalem, so you must witness at Rome also. -Acts 23:11

-peter

Post a Comment